Thursday, January 5, 2023

Updating the List

I mentioned in passing in my last post that Gig Harbor and Kirkland, WA were now off of the list but I didn’t give a good reason why. Both are affluent outskirts of the greater Seattle area, and having been to both in the past, I already know what the downsides are going to be: too congested, too gloomy, too white, too boogie, and not enough of a ski-focus. Although I was holding onto hope that we’d return to our old stomping grounds, I already know what my life is like in those types places and there’s a reason we chose to leave it the first time around. 

I’m a completionist, but we’re also getting a little tired of the unknown. We’re honing in on what it is we want, and aren’t feeling enthusiastic about adding miles to the van just to check off locations that we’re fairly certain won’t be the ultimate. If you’ve read my recent posts, you’ve noticed that each “yes” is given more begrudgingly. We’re more than halfway through, but I think there’s a good chance we’ve already visited our final destination. 

There are a lot of yeses, but I think I was being too generous initially:

  • Steamboat Springs, CO – too much of a resort town. 
  • Mountain Green, UT – there are still circumstantial family reasons why we might choose to live here, but unless something big changes in my parents’ plans in the next six months, this is not a top contender. 
  • Port Angeles, WA – after visiting for Christmas, Cameron and I agreed to take it off of the list. There are too many downsides and we can come up here to visit family any time we want to experience the upsides of PA.
  • Fort Collins, CO – I have not thought about it in months, and I think all of the benefits will be found elsewhere. 
  • Leelanu and Benzie Counties, MI – it’d be great if we were looking for a summer vacation home, but I want a place that’s ideal year-round. 
  • Taos, NM – still in the top 3. 
  • Missoula, MT – also still in the top 3. 
  • Boise, ID – this one is a struggle for me. I hate to love it, but ultimately I think it’s been eked out of the top 3 list. 
  • Wenatchee, WA – as I write this, we are seriously considering ending the Goldilocks Project early to buy a particular property that’s 10 minutes away from Mission Ridge, the local ski area. It’s definitely in the top 3, and likely the current #1. 
  • Olympia, WA – there are a lot of conveniences if we chose Olympia, but I can’t quite bring myself to love it. 
Cameron especially is experiencing a lot of FOMO, and worries that if we don’t act now we’ll miss out of a really cool house or property. I also feel that way a little (see comment above about potential Wenatchee purchase), but I keep reminding myself that we’ve seen excellent listings in all of the top spots. Even if we miss out on the particular ones that are currently available, there will still be something worth considering when we are ready to make decision. 

Assuming we do move forward with the grand van plan, there’s only one place I definitely need to go to – Bellingham, WA, but that will be an easy visit. I am still interested in a few spots in Oregon and New England, but if we end of skipping these spots I won’t be too torn up about it:
  • The Canadian towns: Okotoks, Calgary, Ottawa, Carleton Place, and Russell – it will be challenging to work through the logistics of living in another country, and I have a hard time believing that any of these places will be so perfect that it’s worth that effort. For one, I know getting that far north is going to mean limited winter sunlight. It might also be a challenge just to visit because of international work restrictions and traveling with a rabbit. 
  • Leesburg and Reston, VA – these are commuter cities into D.C., and from what my parents recall from living there ~30 years ago, the population density and summer humidity are not going to be my cup of tea. 
  • Sherwood, OR – it’s a suburb of Portland, and Portland just doesn’t do it for me.
That potentially leaves just 10 places left! Hopefully by next summer we are making final decisions. 

We've spent a lot of time in Washington State this month. Doesn't Vanjie look cute in the snow outside of our Port Angeles house?

We've had some van issues to deal with lately (the big one being a failed heater pump), which might be contributing to our readiness to be done with the Goldilocks Project.

Good thing Cameron was able to fix the heat, because we've been in a lot of snow lately. 

I'm also looking forward to having a house to hang up all of my art. I added some to the van last month, but I have so much more that I love.

Pancake is also getting angsty. She's had lots of space to run around during the holidays, but now that she's back in the van she's getting in some trouble, including jumping off the back of the bed to end up in the garage without a way of getting back up by herself. 

I had a fun time spending two weeks in Port Angeles, and I especially liked backcountry skiing at Hurricane Ridge, but Port Angles isn't our just right

The nice thing about Port Angeles, is that since we have family here we don't need much of an excuse to come back regularly. 

We did do a quick pop over into Gig Harbor, which is a cute but excessively-bougie town.

I love the Pacific Northwest, but hate the gloom (despite how beautiful it can be). I think Wenatchee, WA could be a great compromise. 

Plus I love the big beautiful mountains in Washington State. If we move here, one day we'll summit Mount Rainier (assuming it doesn't erupt before then). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Casa Conejo - Under Contract

If you selected house #2, “bathtub in the kitchen,” you were right! We’ve been under contract for approximately 3 weeks, but I didn’t want t...