Friday, May 5, 2023

Casa Conejo - Under Contract

If you selected house #2, “bathtub in the kitchen,” you were right! We’ve been under contract for approximately 3 weeks, but I didn’t want to get too emotionally invested until the inspection. It’s been so hard, though! This house feels like the perfect compromise: close to town and Carson National Forest access, enough of a project to keep us occupied without taking over our lives, and a large but manageable amount of land – three acres. 

Some additional good signs came up when we were signing the contract that made this house seem fated for us. The closing date is coincidentally our wedding anniversary, and according to the internet, fruit, flowers, and appliances are appropriate year 4 gifts, so why not get a house that is filled with all of those things? More importantly, we learned that Taos Cow, a beloved breakfast, lunch, and ice cream place, is opening up a new location that’s only .25 miles away from us this summer! I’ve fantasized about being a regular somewhere, but I don’t drink enough and I like trying new restaurants too much, but I can very much see myself as a regular at an ice cream shop. 

Despite all of the just right factors about this house, it’s a project house and I expect we’ll be working on it for the next decade. It’s also so big. I cannot wrap my head around filling a 2,800sqft house with just the two of us, and that’s before we build a garage/workshop and casita. And all of the furniture needed to fill a house that size… it makes my head hurt. I have to keep reminding myself the the overall purchase price is under budget so I don’t spiral thinking about how much a couch can cost. 

Also, I want to show off the house right away, but is seems ridiculous to host a housewarming party before it’s in a semi-finished state. Nonetheless, I’ve been developing my invite list. Locally, I know at least half a dozen people, and they all have significant others, so that’s a party right there! Does my “friends” list include the home inspector and former owner? Yes, but I can befriend kindly 50+ Taoseño men! If I expand my list to folks that live within a days drive, then this house warming party has the potential to become a proper bash. 

Until closing, we are going to head back to Utah for a few weeks. Once again, we have dentist appointments there, and although I need to find a new Taos-based dentist, it will be nice to have one last visit with my favorite dental hygienist. Since the move is basically official, we also need to clear the Utah house of our stuff (mostly power tools, extra clothes, and art). We’ll have to do the same at our Washington house this summer. 

“Wait! You’ve found you’re just right home in your just right place. Does this mean the Goldilocks Project is over,” you ask. Yes, my friend, I think it does. Potentially, “the House in Taos” will become its own blog, detailing our home renovation projects, but for now, wish us luck, and visit Taos!

Our soon-to-be house and backyard! There’s a great green house, a chicken coop and run, and a gated pen (possibly for future goats).

My favorite room in the house is effectively a sun room facing the backyard. I can’t wait to fill it with plants and a fainting couch. 

The house has lots of character, like these little niches and some old wooden vigas. 

We also really like some of the hanging pendant lights and hope they stay with the house. This is the bathroom next the bedrooms, and it has great mountain views.

The main kitchen is really cute, but there are some oddities including: fridge in the dining room, sink in a separate room, no dishwasher, and no hood over the stove. 

We paid extra to purchase two additional acres from the owner. We’re brainstorming what to do with it but top ideas right now are to rent it to a bee keeper and add some disc golf nets. 

I can’t leave you without a photo of the bathtub in the kitchenette. It’s too nice of a tub to trash, but clearly we’ll need to modify this space at some point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Casa Conejo - Under Contract

If you selected house #2, “bathtub in the kitchen,” you were right! We’ve been under contract for approximately 3 weeks, but I didn’t want t...